I am wanting to purchase another property. Can I find out what the tax amount would be?

The Assessor's office can provide a rough estimate of the tax amount based on the purchase price of the property and using the last year's millage rate. The following example demonstrates how tax amounts are figured. For the current tax amount on a property or to determine if the taxes are current, we urge you to contact the Kay County Treasurer's office at 580-362-2523.


  • Purchase Price x Assessment Ratio (the assessment percentage applied to the taxable market value of property which is controlled by the voters, Kay County's assessment ratio is 11% for real property and 14% for personal property) = Assessed Value
  • Assessed Value x Millage Rate (Mills are expressed as dollars per thousand dollars of assessed value. The millage rate is based on the school district where the property is located. This value changes annually.) - Any Exemptions = Tax Amount
  • Example: If you pay $99,500 for a property in Ponca City school district 71A in 2017, an estimate of the taxes would be figured as follows: $99,500 x 11% = $10,945. $10,945 - 1,000 (This is a homestead exemption which will need to be filed on any home that is used as the primary homestead, regardless if homestead is already filed on your previous home.) = $9,945 x 0.09802 (which is the 2017 mill levy for 71A 98.02/1,000) = $957.90 (tax amount for 2017 or rough estimate for 2018)

Show All Answers

1. I am wanting to purchase another property. Can I find out what the tax amount would be?
2. How is the money from my property tax used?
3. I have recently purchased a new home, what do I need to do?
4. What is homestead exemption, additional homestead, veteran’s exemption, and the senior valuation freeze?
5. When/how do I pay my taxes?
6. What do I need to do if I purchase or sell a mobile home?
7. How can I find a property owner’s name, address, and/or legal description of a property?
8. Should I let the Assessor’s office know if there have been any changes to my home or property?
9. What is the Change of Assessment Notice?
10. How do I file a protest?
11. How do I read a parcel identification number?